Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Letter to My Husband - Opposites Attract

The topic this week is the saying, “opposites attract”. 
(I hope that I am not the only one who immediately starts humming the Janet Jackson song)

I have always thought that this was kind of an obvious statement but I suppose because it does hold some truth to it, there’s no harm in using it.

Dear Husband,

From day one you have always been the book smart one. You are the one who understands numbers, business and history (and actually likes these things). Me? I like to think that what I lack in math and history smarts I make up for with a love for literature and all things artistic. You are a worrier by nature and you have figured out how to make a sport of pacing around the house tormenting yourself about what could happen. I tend to be the type who believes that most of the time things could be worse and that we will just have to deal with what life hands us when it happens. You think I’m crazy for sitting down with a book for hours and losing myself in its pages and characters. I think you’re crazy for sitting down with the golf channel for more than 5 minutes. You almost always try to keep your thoughts and emotions to yourself while I prefer to talk about almost everything that comes across my mind.  You have a natural instinct regarding directions and an ability to determine where to go regardless of where we are and I…sadly … would get lost in a paper bag.
I could probably go on for days about the things that make us so different from one another but it doesn’t matter how many things there are or what they are in the long run. We fell in love despite our differences because love finds a common ground and then grows. We have grown up together and have learned to embrace our differences, our commonalities and the changes.
That being said, I have this sneaking suspicion that you are going to come home tonight and excitedly bake stuffed salmon in the house while I gag and make cartoon-like faces (I do not like when the house smells like fish and I think your salmon looks the same going down as it would coming up. Ugh.) Just another example that some days...we are so different. But ya know what?
I’m loving every minute of it.

Love,
Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flickr